One of the primary goals of Charleston Peace One Day is educating young people about tangible peace. How can students learn practical steps that lead to a better way of life and future, where intercultural cooperation and nonviolence is the norm?
If you are a teacher, administrator, student or parent and would like your school to take part in this years Week of Peace, PEACE HAPPENS Campaign, we can help. PLEASE contact us, we want South Carolina to know that YOU are taking action. Take pictures, or images of your day. For every student that participates, CP1D will provide "Peace Happened" Stickers for students to wear as well as information that can be sent home to broaden awareness. It is the young people that will carry practical peace into the future. BE Creative! Make this day or week your own. Let us know your actions and we can be there in support, take video clips, photos and document the day.
* Plant a peace pole: www.peacepoles.com (see Peace Pole Tab under "Do Peace")
* Show the 32 minute video highlighting actions across the world. (see below)
* Have an assembly
* Have a "peace week" door decoration contest
* Have lessons about peace
* Have lessons in conflict resolution or highlight heros of peace
* Invite Charleston Peace One Day to speak (we can bring CP1D bracelets)
* Put on your school's marquee something about "Peace Week"
* Put a story in your school's newspaper
* Make an announcement to honor Peace Day (September 21) or Week.
* Make a peace sign out of student's bodies...and take a picture
* Partner w/ a non-profit...to collect can goods
* Art/Music...create around ideas of "What peace means to me?"
* Sidewalk chalk for peace
* Share ideas around the campaign on "Global Truce 2012." www.peace one day.org
* Create your own idea
For K-12 Resources: The following comes from an International organization Peace One Day. They can help guide you with excellent educational resources.
"Peace One Day Education aims to advance active learning in the areas of peace, non-violence and intercultural cooperation. Access our Resources now and explore our lesson plans and activity ideas.
How are you using the Peace One Day Education Resources? Your feedback will help us as we continue to engage teachers and young people aorund the world. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our goal is to institutionalise Peace Day around the world - the Global Truce on Peace Day 2012 provides an opportunity for young people to become the driving force behind that vision. On Peace Day 2011 your students can help POD launch the 365-day countdown to the Global Truce 2012 – we hope our brand new Global Truce 2012 lesson plan will inspire young people and teachers to become involved. You will find our newest Global Truce 2012 lesson plan in all Resource editions.
How many people can YOU get to sign up to Global Truce 2012? Tell everyone you know to visit www.peaceoneday.org and show their support!
Peace One Day founder Jeremy Gilley speaks with students around the world via Skype on a weekly basis to support the countdown to a Global Truce on Peace Day 21 September 2012.
Students are able to listen to Jeremy’s inspirational story, discuss their own plans for a 365-day countdown to Global Truce 2012 and some get the chance to hear from other students across the globe as they too use Skype to engage in intercultural dialogue.
To get your classroom involved and empower a generation to become the driving force behind the vision of a united and sustainable world, contact Peace One Day through their Skype in the classroom profile, or email email@example.com to schedule a call over Skype*
* Please note that it may not be possible to meet all requests. Although Jeremy is committed to speaking to young people around the world, requests will depend on availability." www.peaceoneday.org